Bring along an egg timer if you take these to a pot luck or picnic — we're pretty sure they will disappear fast!
Makes 24 deviled eggs. Prep time:20 minutes active, 30 minutes total.
• 1 dozen eggs, such as (Organic Valley or Rhodes Farm eggs)
• 6 tablespoons light mayonnaise
• 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
• 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
• 1-2 tablespoons Chipotle peppers, finely chopped or puréed
• 1 green onion, finely chopped
• pinch each of salt and ground black pepper
• 2 strips cooked bacon, finely chopped (such as Beeler's bacon)
• pinch of smoked paprika
• Place the eggs in a large pot and fill with cold water to about an inch above the eggs.
• Bring water to a full boil, cover the pot and turn off the heat. Let stand for about 10 minutes.
• Drain and cool the eggs in a bowl of ice water.
• When cool enough to handle, peel the eggs.
• Carefully cut each egg in half lengthwise and remove the yolks, placing them in a mixing bowl. Set aside egg white halves and prepare the filling.
• Mash the yolks in the mixing bowl, add the mayonnaise, mustard, relish, chipotle peppers, green onion, salt and pepper. Blend well.
• Spoon the filling equally into the egg white halves (or use a pastry bag to pipe in the filling).
• Sprinkle each of the deviled eggs with bacon bits and a little paprika before serving. Set some eggs apart to serve without bacon if you or some of your guests do not eat meat.